The benefits of Membership
in the Belvidere Lions Club
You’re part of a global community for good.
Support, tools and resources are offered to enhance your service and skills.
You can take advantage of leadership development programs.
The satisfaction and joy of helping those in need.
You can network with local and international community leaders.
Make new friends working with service minded people.
Be proud of the respect and credibility of being a Lion.
WHO ARE LIONS?
Lions meet the needs of local communities and the world. The 1.35 million members of our volunteer organization in 206 countries and geographic areas are different in many ways but share a core belief, OUR COMMUNITY IS WHAT WE MAKE IT.
Though Lions are well known for successful initiatives in vision health, Lions service is as diverse as our members. Lions volunteer for all kinds of projects - caring for the environment, feeding the hungry and aiding seniors and the disabled, and meeting specific community needs.
BELVIDERE LIONS CLUB HISTORY
The Belvidere Lions Club was charted on July 18TH, 1952 by thirty community minded citizens. Our members have given their time, skills, and assets to make our community a better place for all. Our club has a proud history of continued service to the Belvidere area, for more than 70 years.
Some past projects include:
The Community Service Award dinner (22 years)
Belvidere sports program trips and activities
The construction of the Lion's Den Playground
Support of the Kasenback School for the Deaf
Support of "Rolling Thunder"
Fund raising project to help with the purchase the Country Gate Playhouse.
Christmas food baskets
Christmas Gifts for children
The Lions Classic Football game
Flood relief for local citizens
Aid to Appalachia
Aid to Belvidere Flood Victims
Belvidere Spirit Day activities
The Annual Lions Club Halloween Parade was started by the Lions Club in 1955. This annual event has been enjoyed by multiple generations and continues today. Our four scholarships are funded and awarded each year to students who work hard to make a difference in our community. Our annual “Night of Giving” provides our club with the opportunity to support and help fund other community service organizations in Belvidere and surrounding area.
Today our club continues service to the Belvidere area community in a variety of ways, large and small. We currently support the Food Pantry, Community Lunch, National Night Out, Family Promise, Christmas Tree Lighting, Lower Damn Park, Camp Marsala for the Blind, and Camp Warren in Knowlton Township.
The Belvidere Lions Club led and coordinated a project to purchase and set up a Children’s Vision Screening test program for our area. Local Lions from Knowlton, Harmony, North Warren, and Franklin were all part of this exciting program. The $7000 system provides the latest technology in vision screening. We have partnered with the Warren County School Nurses Association who use the Vision Screening System in our county schools. As of 2023, we have tested over 7000 children and adults.
In 2017, Lions International celebrated 100 years of service to local communities all around the world. Local clubs like Belvidere were encouraged to “Connect with your community by planning a Centennial Community Legacy Project”. Legacy Projects are visible gifts to your community that commemorate our Centennial and create a lasting legacy of your service contributions. We initiated a project to construct a Pavilion at the town’s Hriczak Athletic Field. The project was completed in 2017 and handed over to the town for the use and enjoyment of our community.
In 2020 our club replaced the tattered awning at the town pool snack bar with a permanent pavilion. The project included management of the construction of the pavilion, the purchase and installation of new aluminum fencing and access gate and a fundraising program. The project was supported by over 140 donations from local businesses and residents.
Please contact us if you would like to be considered for membership.
Lions Code of Ethics
• To Show my faith in the worthiness of my vocation by industrious application to the end that I may merit a reputation for quality of service.
• To Seek success and to demand all fair remuneration or profit as my just due, but to accept no profit or success at the price of my own self-respect lost because of unfair advantage taken or because of questionable acts on my part.
• To Remember that in building up my business it is not necessary to tear down another’s; to be loyal to my clients or customers and true to myself.
• Whenever a doubt arises as to the right or ethics of my position or action towards others, to resolve such doubt against myself.
• To Hold friendship as an end and not a means. To hold that true friendship exists not on account of the service performed by one to another, but that true friendship demands nothing but accepts service in the spirit in which it is given.
• Always to bear in mind my obligations as a citizen to my nation, my state, and my community, and to give them my unswerving loyalty in word, act, and deed. To give them freely of my time, labor and means.
• To Aid others by giving my sympathy to those in distress, my aid to the weak, and my substance to the needy.
• To Be Careful with my criticism and liberal with my praise; to build up and not destroy
Meet Our Officers
President …………... Dean Tshudy
First VP………………. Val Tishuk
Second VP …………. Brian LaBar
Third VP ……………. Pete Angus
Treasurer …………... Mike Larney
Secretary ………………. Brad Day
Lion Tail Twister …. Joe Muraglia
Belvidere Lions Club Foundation LLC – In 2020 the Belvidere Lions Club formed the Belvidere Lions Club Foundation. The Foundation is the charitable arm of the club and raises funds through donations and fund-raising projects. The foundation awards scholarships each year, funds the Belvidere Lions “Night of Giving” to other organizations and groups providing services in our community. All donations to the foundation are tax deductible.
Belvidere Lions Club Foundation Board Members:
Foundation email: firstname.lastname@example.org